Responding to the pleas of a small six-month-old mining town for a pastor and a church, in 1877 George Darley fought snow and ice four days and three nights to preach the first sermon in Ouray…in a rough hall over a saloon. Returning later that year, the now Reverend Darley organized the First Presbyterian Church of Ouray. With financial help from local citizens, construction began immediately, and the new structure was dedicated on October 14, 1877. Unfortunately, the building’s mortgage was lost in a foreclosure and that building was moved to Nucla, CO where it now houses the Catholic congregation. Undaunted, the Ouray congregation reorganized and in 1890 built the sanctuary that is home to Ouray Christian Fellowship today. It has survived floods; was gutted by fire in 1944 (the ravages of which can still be viewed on window frames and the ends of roof beams); and numerous “growing pains” with the addition of the annex, the raising of the building to construct Darley Hall at basement level, and our sanctuary youth area and office expansions on the upper level.
Here, in this historic building, all gather for worship, nurture, and fellowship, departing to serve and witness. We worship beneath an empty cross which proclaims the resurrection and love that conquers death. All are invited, in Christ’s name, to join us in praise and fellowship.